Sunday, November 27, 2011

Winter Training Series Ride #4

Yesterday was the Winter Training Series ride #4.  We started at Bare Bulb Coffee & had 19 people show up for the ride.  The weather was great & I didn't need much more than arm & knee warmers for this ride.  We started out & headed to Roberta using the hilly route.  About 22 miles into the ride Charles said the KOM attacks could start which they did commence.  I needless to say was not one of the protaganists in this endeavour.  I still need to get the weight down before I can even think of being competitive on the hills.  I just stayed within myself, know there was still a lot of riding left to do & not wanting to wasted energy I didn't need to at the time.  I rode up the hills at my steady pace & was actually catching people.  I made up time on the descents & caught another group ahead of me.  I rode with them for quite sometime.  We hit the base of Firetower hill & I stayed at a steady cadence.  This hill usually has me riding up in single digits, but this time I was able to keep the speed in double digits.  I guess all the riding so far is starting to pay off.  After the store stop, we headed back though Fort Valley.  Once we got rolling, we starting practicing rotations.  This is where you have two lines of riders and as once  you hit the front of one line, you move over & start falling back in the second line.  Once you hit the back of the second line you pull over & start moving forward again.  If you have a group of riders who are good at doing this, you can keep up a good pace for quite some time.  It took us a bit to get it going, but once we got it down, we did well into Fort Valley.  After leaving Fort Valley it was a double paceline ride back to Bare Bulb Coffee.  It was a good ride & everyone had a good time.  Here is the data for the ride:
Total Distance: 77.74 miles
Total Time: 4:11:18
Average Speed: 18.45 mph
Max Speed: 40.47 mph
Average Cadence: 85 rpm
Average Heart Rate: 139
Max Heart Rate: 170
Calories Burned: 3426

No comments: