Saturday, September 22, 2007

I know, I've been very lazy about posting

I know that I've been extremely lazy about posting anything on here lately. I've been busy with other things & the weather here lately has been kind of on the wet side, so I haven't been able to ride as much as I would like to. Well, I've pretty much finished my racing for this year & it's been a big learning experience. I had lots of fun racing, if you call suffering at the back of the pack most of the time fun, but I did learn alot. I have some ideas as to what I need to do this off-season and will do my best to become a better rider. The first thing that I need to accomplish for next year is to lose weight. I have started that by attending Weight Watchers. I started a couple of weeks ago & have already lost 6.6 lbs. I did the short group ride on Thursday & when we started climbing the hill into Haynesville, I noticed a big improvement over the last time I rode that hill. My eating habits and losing the weight have greatly helped my climbing. My goal is to get down to 165 by my birthday on March 5th. I am at 205.8 lbs right now. I figured out that I will have to average a weight loss of 1.7 lbs per week to meet my goal. I also told a friend that when I reach that goal, we are going to climb up Brasstown Bald. I just want to see if I can make it up that climb. I know I can't do it now, but after I lose 40 lbs, I might have a better chance of making it up there. I need to be more consistent in my on the bike training. I need to quit making excuses for not riding when I really should be on the bike. I'm going to continue with the Cyclo-Core workouts & remember to continue doing them during the season, not just do them in the off-season & then quit doing them. I think that was one of my biggest mistakes during the season. I also need to put more time into specific types of workouts, not just going on the group rides & hammering all the time. I need to work on hill climbing, intervals, & sprinting just to name a few things. I have plenty of time to set up a training schedule, so that's the biggest thing for me. They have what they call the Peach Peloton rides here starting in November & I'm going to attend everyone of them. They are for building up base miles. They start out with 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hour rides each Saturday in November and work up the distance, time, & speed each month after that. I had one guy in our club do them last year & said that it really helped him get better. I hope that I can have the same effect he did & that will be a good start for next year. Right now, I'm just riding my bike for the enjoyment of it & keeping a level of fitness. I forgot how much fun just riding a bike is. I have been enjoying just getting on the bike & seeing the sites around here. That's about all I have for now, I'll keep posting about the weight loss & how things are going so anyone can see.

No comments: