Sunday, December 07, 2008

Peach Peloton Ride Recap

Yesterday was the next in the Peach Peloton Ride series. I was a bit hesitant about this one seeing as I had missed the past couple weeks due to other obligations. We started out near Julitte and it was certainly one cold morning. I had on a wicking t-shirt, my jersey, and then a thermal jacket. My legs had my shorts and I put tights on. My feet were trying out some Oslo extreme weather socks from Trek. I put my booties on due to the cold weather. We headed out and the first 10 miles were pretty good rolling hills. We ran into a couple of large dogs early in the ride & we were worried that they would be a problem on the way back. I decided to ride smart this time. I wasn't going to be up front very much, just wanted to survive this ride. The pace on the way out was pretty good, my legs were feeling good and when they started rotating, I just stayed out of the way and let them do it. I stayed close enough with the group to not get dropped but didn't want to wear myself out doing the rotations. We hit the store stop just after 2 hours and I was feeling suprisingly good. After the store stop we got back on the road and once again started rotating. The road after the store stop was constant rollers, some bigger than others, but I need the hill practice. We just continued rolling on the road and I was able to stay with everyone, once in a while we would come across a county line sign and some of the group decided to sprint for the signs. I just watched them, not wanting to contest any of them. We started back down the road we headed out on for the first part of the ride, this was the attack zone. We were all together for about the first couple of miles, then Chad decided it was time to break things up. I did my best to stay with them, but when you're riding with guys who are Cat 3 or higher, it's kind of hard to stay with them. I gave it my best, but had to let them go in order to finish. The return trip down this road seemed a lot harder than on the way out, but at least I didn't have to deal with the dogs like I was worried about. All in all it was a good ride, did 82.54 miles at an average speed of 19.46 mph. I was happy to survive the ride & look foward to next week.

No comments: