Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's Day Ride

Today was the annual New Year's Day ride down here in wonderful Warner Robins, Ga. I met Charles on the road & we rode to The Bike Store. It was a bit on the cold side when I left the house, so I had to decide what I was going to wear. It was going to warm up during the ride, so I went with a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, my club kit, Pearl Izumi arm & leg warmers (best Christmas present I got, even if it was from last year), my Pearl Izumi skull cap, my Trek Oslo cold weather socks, & my DeFeet Slipstream shoe covers. My hands had on my cold weather gloves, but I brought along another pair of lighter gloves in case my hands got too warm. There was a great crowd at the start of the ride. The Bike Store was giving away 2 gift certificates, one for $100 & one for $50. We each drew a card & I was able to get lucky & win the $100 gift certificate. My new year is already off to a good start. We headed out slowly and stayed together as much as possible. We were out on the ride when we heard that there was a crash back in the group. I heard that Dave Sexton touched someone else's wheel & went down. As of this posting I don't know how he's doing, but I'll post as soon as I hear something from someone. The route was the usual Sunday route. We pretty much stayed together as a group until we were in Perry. Once we crossed the train tracks, some of the guys felt froggy & tried to sprint away. I was able to close the gap, but I started to get cramps & had to back off just a bit. The group I was with kept up a pretty good pace the rest of the ride. My legs are a bit sore, but I feel much better after the ride. I'm looking forward to the weekend, going to do some long rides this weekend. That's about all I have for now, stayed tuned for more adventures & have a Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: