Saturday, January 05, 2008

Peach Peloton #8

We were supposed to have a Peach Peloton ride last week, but weather forced the cancellation of that. This week the scheduled route was for about 95 miles with attack zones. The weather was cold & it seemed that several of the other riders used that as an excuse not to show up. We had 10 of us there for the ride. We started out warming up then Chad had us practicing rotating going down US 23 towards Twiggs County. We kept up a good pace & I took my turns up front as I was feeling good so far. We hit HWY 96 & turned left for the next part of the ride. The pace picked up a bit & I did my best to hang with the group. I fell back a bit, but they waited for me at least once. We broke up into 2 groups to practice rotating again, but I couldn't keep up with the pace of the group I was in. I decided to just ride my own pace & be able to finish the ride instead of letting my ego get the best of me & try to keep up with them. We regrouped again & Chad said that there was an unannounced attack zone to the Laurens County sign. I told the group to have fun, I knew I wasn't going to be able to hang with them & I was correct. I was doing between 21 & 22 mph on the flatter parts & was getting left behind. I stayed within my abilities & rode my own pace. I hit US 80 & headed towards Allenton. I met the rest of the group at the store stop & let Chad know that I was going to finish the ride going straight on US 80. I let him know that the pace was too high for me, & I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up & didn't want to slow the group down. Chad said that was fine with him & that if my car was still at the starting place when they got back, he would know something happened to me. I refueled & headed out on my own. The rest of the ride down US 80 was nothing but rollers. The good thing was that the wind wasn't that bad on the way back to the school. My neck & shoulders started to get a bit sore, but my legs were actually feeling pretty good. I just stayed within myself & had a good hard ride. I managed to get 80 miles done with an average speed of 19.3 mph. When I got home I noticed I had a voicemail from Eddie & called him back to let him know that I made it home with no problems. He encouraged me to be back next week for the ride & I told him that I would be there unless something came up that I couldn't get out of. I told him thanks for the encouragement & I told him that I'm learning alot on these rides & I am getting stronger. I'm looking forward to next weeks ride & we'll see what happens..............

No comments: