Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tundra Time Trial Report

Today was the Tundra Time Trial in Hiram, Ga. It's on the Silver Comet Trail. They claim it's flat, but I'll tell you that they lie!!!! It's not flat at all, there are gradual inclines & descents the entire trail. The start was at the trail head in Hiram, then it was out about 4.75 miles, turn around and come back. I made sure I arrived early enough to get a good parking space & made sure I warmed up well before my start time. Well I warmed up & got ready to head to the start ramp when they got close to calling my number. I rolled up on the ramp & got ready to go. I got the start & headed out. The trip out is mostly uphill with a few sections that go downhill. I was using a set of Mavic Kyrsium wheels I borrowed from Will. I really like these wheels. I was going well until I hit a bump at the beginning of a bridge crossing. Once I hit that, the speed magnet on the wheel slid & I was without any kind of info concerning time, distance, & most importantly speed. The only info I had was my heart rate. I just concentrated on getting to the turn around point. It was a very tight turn, really had to slow down to make it, then it was back up out of the saddle gaining speed. I hammered it on the way back, my legs felt good the entire ride. I managed to beat my time from last year by over 2 minutes. I finished in 26:01. All in all a good time & a good race. Nice way to start the racing season.

No comments: