Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Update from the weekend.

This past Saturday I went riding with my new club. I joined the Southern Crescent Cycling Club in McDonough & this past Saturday was my first group ride. I met the ride leader at Epic Bikes about 6:30 am seeing as the ride was scheduled to start at 7. His name was Mike & he told me what to expect during the ride. He said that the route was rolling hills with a short, somewhat steep climb later in the ride. I told him I would do my best to stay with the group. I had no idea what to expect during the ride. I wasn't sure what the pace was going to be & what kind of riders I was going to be riding with. We had a group of about 6 of us that left Epic Bikes around 7 am. It was a bit on the cold side ( surprise), but it was going to warm up during the ride. Mike said that he never leaves anyone during a ride, there would be sections to be ridden fast & sections to let the slower riders catch up. Each group would get a workout, the faster riders would be doing intervals, while the slower riders would be building base miles. I liked the concept, Mike said it was kind of like riding to learn the flow of a race, there would be sections where the pace would be fast, and sections where the peloton would bunch up and slow down. The other riders on the ride really made me feel welcome during the ride. It really was a nice route to ride, the traffic really wasn't a problem at all until we were getting closer to the shop on the return trip. The climb up Jordan Hill was just like Mike said, short & somewhat steep. I was in the big ring going up the climb, but managed to make it up the hill. We regrouped at the top of the hill for another of the fast sections of the ride. We were doing about 22-23 mph during that section, when one of the group started to drop back, Mike said it was time to slow down & let the other rider catch up to us. We hit the section of the route that they use for a local time trial, & it was time to hammer. I don't think I dropped down below 25 mph on that section of road. It felt good to really hammer for a good stretch of time. We got back to the shop & I just chatted with everyone that was in the group. I'm looking forward to riding more with the group & Mike said that the pace would be picking up in not much longer. I'm looking forward to the challenge of keeping up with this group. All in all it was a good ride, a good new route to ride, & great new people to ride with.

No comments: