Friday, June 09, 2006

Thurdsay Group Ride Report

Yesterday was the usual Thursday group ride with CGC. It started out as usual, everyone staying together until the big hill on Larry Walker Pkwy. I couldn't hang with them & kept a steady pace for myself. I did feel better climbing this week. I saw a rider ahead of me on Ellis Rd. & that was my incentive to catch. The wind this week was worse than last week making the catch even harder. I managed to catch him in Elko & rode his wheel for a bit. Once on Elko Rd. I decided it was my turn to pull him for a bit, but he must have been feeling worse than me because he couldn't stay with me. I didn't put in a big acceleration, just rode steady. As we went along Elko Rd. I noticed that he was falling further & further behind. I saw the group a ways up the road, but knew that there was no way I was going to be able to catch them. I just rode a steady pace that was just a bit of a push for me. I caught Kim & another girl riding together on Kings Chapel Rd. They did the shorter route. On days like yesterday with the wind, I think the shorter route is actually harder than the longer route, due to the fact that the short cut takes you into a head wind when the wind is out of the west as it was yesterday. I had to ride back home after the group ride so I did a total of about 43 miles with an average speed of 19.8 mph. It was a bit slower than last week, but with the conditions, I'm not complaining about it. I feel as if I'm getting stronger, just have to keep riding & watching what I eat. The weight will come down & I'll get better. I'm hoping to ride the metric century they are planning from Perry tomorrow, but we'll just have to wait & see. Stay tuned.....

No comments: