Sunday, July 29, 2007

Final Thoughts on the Tour de France

Well the Tour de France has finally concluded & Alberto Contador of the Discovery Channel team was the overall winner. Cadel Evans was second and Levi finished on the podium in third place. The final few stages gave the breakaway artists their chances for glory. I really loved the final TT. I actually thought Levi just might jump 2 spots and take over the yellow jersey. Levi rode a great TT and made his goals for the Tour. It turns out that Discovery also won the team competion, something they never did during the Lance years. I was very pleased with the way they rode the race. I have the utmost respect for Levi. Once Contador was in the yellow jersey, Levi said he would ride for him & sacrifice his personal goals for the team. That is the mark of a true professional & team member. I'm glad that Levi was still able to podium after taking care of Contador the final few stages. After all the problems during this year's Tour, I have hope that the next one will be clean. It seems that they are getting better at getting the dopers caught and that's a good thing for the sport. The sport is taking a beating right now, but it's what needs to be done to clean things up. Cycling is doing more to catch dopers than any other sport that I know of. I keep getting teased about my sport, but at least they are trying, which is more than I can say for the other major sports in this country. All in all I enjoyed watching the Tour this year and I'm going to keep following my sport, no matter what everyone else says. I think eventually things will clear up & the dopers will be either caught or just quit. They always say you have to hit rock bottom before you'll change. I hope cycling has hit rock bottom & is on the way back up after the black eye they received this year. Here is to the future, & it's looking bright with the new stars.

No comments: